Business interruption insurance can protect against disturbances that affect your business’s ability to operate normally. This could include disturbances at your own premises or at a nearby one – providing that the event has caused a genuine interruption to your business’s operations.
An interruption could be caused by events such as:
- Severe damage – Where rebuilding or extensive repairs are required
- Major theft – For example, of stock which cannot easily be replaced
- Denial of access – If you cannot physically enter your premises
- Failure of utilities – Your water, gas or electricity supply is unable to reach you
- Customer failure – A major customer is unexpectedly unable to purchase from you
- Food poisoning or infectious disease – Requiring closure for health and safety reasons
- Death – Where a police investigation may be required, such as murder or suicide
- Animal infestation – The likes of vermin and insects.